Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

It's been a busy few weeks for the Taylor Trio and, unfortunately, it will contine that way for at least the next week and a half. Two weeks ago, I was travelling for work, trying to pack for vacation, and helping throw a baby shower/surprise retirement party for my sister-in-law and mother-in-law. After an exhausting week, we left for the beach last Saturday. It was a great time with my parents (and brother). Pictures and more details will follow! Now, I'm in town this week but we leave Saturday for Clint's graduation and I have to stay in North Carolina for a meeting with clients. I'm exhausted just typing it.

Since I don't have any pictures uploaded, I decided to write a quick note on the most recent event in our lives: mother's day.

I'll preface this by saying that Jarrod completely failed this year. While he's usually thoughtful and romantic, this year was an exception. There were no presents, dinners, or even cards. We did our weekly Sunday morning breakfast at Winslow's, followed by church, and a visit to his parents to see his sister and her family before they returned to Colorado. By night's end, I considered it a present to go to Whole Foods by myself.

In all honesty, I'm completely torn by the whole Mother's Day thing. I feel some sort of guilt that mother's day should be a day I enjoy my family (more specifically, my child). But, when I think of a day that is TRULY for me, I just want to be alone! :) Okay - maybe not alone but at least doing adult-things with adults. In the end, my guilt wins and I spend the day with Spence.

Jarrod and I talked about this and I think he gets it. I love Jarrod's mom and loved seeing all of them yesterday. However, on mother's day, I think Jarrod (and not necessarily me) should be with his mom - if she WANTS him. If not, I think Linda and I should be able to do whatever it is we want.

For now, I'm sure my guilt will continue to win out until I can convince a friend to support my no-child mother's day and we can collude to spend it doing adult things. Ideally that would include: eat breakfast with Spene and Jarrod, go to the spa ALL DAY, come home and take a nap, watch everything I want on my DVR, read Spence a book before bed (note: he has already been fed, given a bath, clean pjs on, and sheets changed), and go to sleep. Jarrod: take note. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you...but shouldn't Mother's Day have just a little something in it for YOUR mother? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a mother yet but LOVE your ideal mother's day! You are a great mother and I will definitely look to you for advice in oh 10 years haha.

    ReplyDelete