Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Had Clean Underwear This Morning

I make myself laugh. It's embarrassing to admit - but I think I laugh more in my head than I do out loud. Sometimes I even make myself laugh at pretend conversations I have with others. Today, I was writing a friend and I laughed, snorting loud enough for the poor secretary outside my door to hear. While her computer faces the entire office, I'm safe in my little room - to do as I please. Anyway, I'm sure she was anything but happy that I was enjoying myself while she did meanial tasks.

The point of my email was encouragement that success is how you define it. I said:

You will eventually figure out what it is you're supposed to do. My
whole life I thought I was meant to be a mother. I anxiously awaited
the day Spence was born and I could become a stay-at-home mom. That
time came and I felt like I had fallen into a black hole. I felt
trapped. Although that feeling eventually passed, the reality that I
was not a good stay-at-home mom continued to persist. The fact that
what I had always wanted turned out not to be anything I wanted was
difficult.

Eventualy, I realized that success isn't defined by how much you have in your savings account much less the job you get out of college. I've learned to
take the little things as success - I've kept my child alive for
almost 3 years, I haven't yet killed my husband, and I had clean
underwear to wear this morning.

It made me realize that, truly, it's the little things.

Looks like I'm back to my random posts while I try to get a cute clip of Spence singing downloaded. My iphone refuses to allow me to post the entire video, so I'm working on it! Until then....

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up. I love the "I haven't YET killed my husband"....to funny! It really is the little things, isn't it? Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post --- It is funny how priorities change and "success" gets new definitions over time. We'll all find our way!

    We still miss you in Huntington.
    -Eleni

    ReplyDelete